4 Sept 2016

NaNoPrep 2016 - Narrowing Things Up

This past year, I've posted brainstorming for this upcoming NaNoWriMo.  Naturally, other ideas have come up.  Some are older ideas, some are new.  The list after the break!

Terran Commonwealth
One of the two ideas that I've been working with already, in part as a Traveller campaign setting and in part for Colony Base 182.  The setting is sorting itself out, slowly.  Characters, though, aren't.  This may be a story that works better serialized, but even then, I'm not sure what will happen.  It may wind up as a SF slice-of-life on a new colony, which isn't a bad thing.  We need more examinations of what it would be like to set up an off-world colony, even if it is fictional.

Shadowrun Webcomic
This has gotten the short shrift the past few months, in part because the worldbuilding is mostly done for the Shadowrun RPG.  It's not 100% done; just because it's in a supplement doesn't mean that there's no room for interpretation.  The characters are the unknown portion here, too.  I know what the characters can do and I have a rough idea of who they are, but the backgrounders, like Tempest's two-parter, should've been done by now.

Unruly
The wonderful girls of the Gephardt Academy are still around in the back of my mind.  "How Do We Solve a Problem Like Caitlin" (part 2) was just one outstanding Unruly story.  I have one started for Vamsi, and I also have Laura's court testimony trying to work itself out in my head.  If nothing else, Unruly is a fallback position.

University Detectives, Idea the 1st
I've managed to recover a file from a dying Playbook a story I worked on while riding the bus to and from work.  Writing on a tablet didn't agree with me, with the story getting cut down, but the recovered file will provide a core to build from.  The general plot and the core characters already exist, with details easily pulled from the recovered file.

University Detectives, Idea the 2nd
The second set of university detectives owes more to Scooby-Doo than anything else.  Three students form a business that investigates ghost hauntings.  I still have to decide whether the hauntings are real.  It's is tempting to write an urban fantasy that doesn't have the fantasy element.  The characters are fleshed out, at least in my head.

Draconic Magic
An idea that has been popping in and out of my head for a while now, the idea is a twist on "saving the damsel from the dragon" story, with the dragon doing the saving.  So far, just the opening has been figured out, meaning I really need to see where the story is going.  Short form, training montage at some point.  Casting is starting; the dragon was the easiest, though his butler could be a fun character.  I am tempted to have a scene where the damsel saves the dragon in distress from the evil knight, just to switch the trope up.

I'm tempted to add a poll here, to see what piques other people's interests, but I'm a contrarian when it comes to writing.  It is difficult for me to write to someone else's requests.  I do take suggestions, and comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment