25 Sept 2020

Brace Yourself - NaNo Is Coming

It's been some time.  Somehow, March has become September.  Summer existed and it was hot but, well, time has ceased to have meaning.  Autumn is coming, when trees become colourful and stop having sex.  With autumn comes November, and with November comes NaNoWriMo.

I have no idea what I'm writing.

That's not new for me.  I usually have a few ideas on the go that I could just pick up and run with.  This summer, though, the creativity is just out of reach.  No worries, I can make this work.  I do have a few ideas, though.

First up, the Subject 13-verse.  I have a start on Nasty's return, skipping over a chunk of time to make things easier.  I also want to expand the setting.  I've started on Streetwise Valkyries, with a few chapters handwritten and waiting for deciphering from chicken scratches.  I also have ideas for two other titles in the setting, Total Security Concepts, featuring a security company dealing with superpowered threats, and The Canadian Shield (working title, thanks Marvel), about Canada's premier superteam.  The catch with all three is plot, as in I need some.  I'll get it worked out. I hope.

I can also continue with Mecha Academy and with Unruly.  I have dangling plot elements and ideas on where to go.  The ideas are a little ephemeral, but I can mold them and get them to work.  It helps that I left off in half-finished chapters.  Finishing the chapters will get things motoring.  I hope.

While I prefer to work with my own creations, I do have a couple of ideas for serials involving Star Trek.  The first is set post-Voyager, with Star Fleet's misfits.  Star Fleet has had officers who were, shall we say, eccentric and prone to going their own way.  While Captain James Kirk may have been able to point at his successes when going rogue and saving the galaxy a few times, not every Star Fleet officer is that quality.  Star Trek: Lower Decks is showing that junior officers can be volatile.  I just have to work out the crew, though a Vulcan ship's counselor ("Emotional logic is still logic") and a Klingon science officer ("Today is a good day to learn") are already selected.

The other Trek serial is set after Star Trek VI, with the crew of a Miranda-class vessel patrolling the borders between the Federation and the Klingons and Romulans.  This crew is meant to be proper officers, though with some twists to be brought out.  After all, it wouldn't be a Trek serial without a court martial somewhere in there.  In both of these cases, the idea afterwards is to try adapting to another medium, most likely podcast play.

I also have an idea to use with Shadowrun, though I need to dig a bit to see what has changed to the setting with the 6th edition.  The runners are selected and, again, I can turn this into a serial.  I do have access to older books and at least one of them will have ideas for runs.  A couple of characters need to be fleshed out better, but a few are fairly solid right now.

During this, I will be maintaining Lost in Translation.  I have plans for it during November that don't necessarily include /MST3K this year.  I've maintained the challenge of keeping the reviews going during November, so why stop now?

This will mark my 14th NaNo.  I have managed to complete the past thirteen successfully, though I have squeaked by a few times on the last day.  Considering that I don't have a commute that takes an hour from me and I won't be dealing with local public transit that has completely fallen apart, I should be able to get a couple of hours in daily without any problems.

I hope.

Today, over at Psycho Drive-In, "Star Trek: The Paradise Makers".

Saturday, over at The Seventh Sanctum, "Kenobi: A Star Wars Fan Film"


No comments:

Post a Comment