28 Jun 2019

The Elf's Prisoner - Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Previously:
Jyslyn investigated a fellow dark elf.
Embassy Row, Realm Below the Mountain
Nyssa and Kazimier began their trek back to the Inn of the Foxes.  The meeting with the Nicean minister left the two travellers unsure of the Niceans plans, though neither expected the Minister to share his thoughts with them.  Nyssa's footsteps on the stone road echoed off the walls of nearby embassies.  No one else on the street noticed.  Functionaries rushed about, delivering messages and missives.

Over the hushed din, a voice called out with a strident tone, "Dame Kellus!"  The knight came to a stop as she looked around.  A woman wearing a long red dress ran to catch up, hiking up her skirts to avoid tripping on the hems.  "Dame Kellus!" the woman repeated.  She slowed as she neared Nyssa and Kazimier, allowing herself to catch her breath.

"I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you," Nyssa said.

The woman scowled.  "Enide, His Majesty's representative to the Realm Below."  She pulled the purple sash of office back up on her shoulder.  "Why wasn't I told that His Majesty had sent a Knight of the Realm?  What is your business here?"

"I am not here on His Majesty's business," Nyssa answered.  "I am here on the behalf of the Count of Varin.  Has news of what has happened in the County even reached here?"

"I am not aware of problems a minor count has had.  What I am aware of is a missive from the Realm Below summoning you and a priest named Starpetal."

Kazimier bowed to Enide.  "That would be me," he said.  "Kazimier Starpetal, of Wildwood.  Pleased to meet you, Ambassador."

Enide gave the elf a slight nod before turning back to Nyssa.  "Why wasn't I informed that you were coming?  Why wasn't a messenger sent?"

Nyssa tried to remain pleasant, despite the barrage.  "Ambassador Enide, I am the messenger.  Perhaps I should have introduced myself to you when I arrived in Silver Trailings, but the problem Chaplain Kazimier and I are investigating involves a conspiracy.  The Realm Below may be the target, or every realm could be."

"And I was kept in the dark?  Dame Kellus, your judgement is lacking."

"Ambassador," Kazimier started, "we're not sure exactly who is behind the plot.  Would you believe anyone who told you that there's a conspiracy without any details of what the plot is?"

Nyssa nodded in agreement.  "Not to mention that my mission here is to prevent an unneeded war between the Realm Below and Varin.  And if Varin starts a war, the entire Seven Dominions will be pulled in.  You mentioned a missive from the Realm Below, Ambassador?"

Enide pulled a scroll out from beneath a fold of her dress.  The wax seal on the scroll was broken.  The ambassador held the scroll out to Nyssa.  "I demand that I join you when you meet with the Realm Below's representatives."

"I won't be able to stop you, Ambassador."  Nyssa took her end of the scroll, waiting for Enide to release hers.  "You have read the missive."

"Good."  Enide let go of the scroll.  "His Majesty will hear of your attempt to snub my office."  She stormed off, skirts billowing.

"Yes, I imagine he will."  Nyssa allowed herself a chuckle.  She unfurled the scroll.  "Let's see what our hosts have said."  The knight read through the missive's well-formed, almost chiseled script.  "They will meet with us tomorrow morning, in the Temple of Stone.  I wonder where that is."

"Could be deeper into the mountain," Kazimier said.  "We could ask for direction."

Nyssa rolled up the scroll and placed it in her belt.  "Tomorrow.  I need to get out of this armour and into a hot bath.  It's great for stopping swords and impressing diplomats, but not so good for walking on hard roads.  There's a reason why knights are mounted and have squires."

Kazimier resumed walking back to the Middle Gate.  "I imagine Leomund, Wren, and Jyslyn are all eager to see us return, too, just to hear what news we have."

As Nyssa and Kazimier returned outside, the sun began to set.  They needed to blink several times to get used to the dimmer light.  The time spent inside had seen no changes in the amount of light along Embassy Row or the Entry Cavern.  The disorientation didn't last long, but Nyssa and Kazimier did slow down for a few blocks while they readjusted.

They arrived at the the Inn of the Foxes after almost an hour.  The inn had a fire roaring in the hearth.  Nyssa stopped long enough to ask Berach to have her bath run and dinner sent to her room before joining Kazimier upstairs.

Outside the elf's room, Wren paced, distraught.  The young elf launched herself into Kazimier's arms.  "Jyslyn's gone!" she cried.

Kazimier hugged the elf girl.  "Calm down, Wren."  He rubbed her back.  "What happened?  Did someone take Jyslyn away?"

Wren took a deep breath, trying to push down her worries and fears.  "No, Kazimier, she left.  She said to tell you that she had to go alone and that you'd understand.  I think she's going after the thieves' guild."

"Jyslyn knows what she's doing, Wren."  Kazimier gave the girl on last squeeze before letting her go.  "Or at least thinks she does.  Let me get changed and we'll go find her."

"Do you want me to go along with you?" Nyssa offered.

Kazimier regarded the knight.  "Not right now, no.  You'll stand out, even in your regular clothes.  When we find our wayward Jyslyn, I can send a message to you."

"I'll come riding in if you need it."  Nyssa disappeared into her room.

"Wren, go get your gear, even your bow.  Especially your bow.  Meet me out here."

The young elf started for the room she shared with Jyslyn.  "Do you think she's in trouble?"

"I can guarantee that she is, even if she can handle the guild."


Next Week:
A touching family reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment