8 Mar 2013

Subject 13 #10 - Indoctrination


[Once again, Nasty has a potty mouth.  Reader discretion recommended.  The rest of the story after the cut.]

Nasty arrived at W.H. Seward High School in time to hear the first bell.  With a sigh, she went into the building and to her locker.  She grabbed her notes for English, then trudged upstairs.  I really should just skip class today.  If I had to go home yesterday, I could get away with being away today.  Except, what the hell was I doing at home?  I thought I stayed somewhere else last night, er, the other night.  What the hell happened to me yesterday?  I remember these two feds, but --



"Hi, Nasty," Eric said, breaking her train of thought.  "I'm sorry I missed you last night."

"Eric, hi," Nasty said, trying not to blush.  "I'm the one who should be sorry.  I should have called.  I didn't mean to stand you up like that."

"It's okay, Nasty.  You were sick.  You told me that yesterday before you left."

Huh?  "I did?"  I don't remember talking to Eric yesterday.

"You weren't feeling that well.  I'm surprised to see you today."

"Do you think we can meet tonight?  To make up for yesterday?" Nasty asked.  Where the hell did that come from?

"Sure.  After supper tonight?"

"Sounds good.  I should be done, um, work by then."  What the hell?  Something weird is going on.

"We better get into class," Eric said.  "The bell's about to ring."  He led the way into Nordberg's classroom.

Nasty followed Eric, a puzzled look on her face.  I don't work tonight.  Eric knows that, doesn't he?  What the fuck is going on?

-**-

"Sir, we took precautions we felt necessary," Subject 6 said.  He looked over at his partner, then back at the Coordinator.  "The girl was getting worked up, and could have jeopardized the mission."

"Six is right, sir," Subject 11 said.  "The girl was agitated and short-tempered.  She could have caused problems in the car.  Neither Six nor I are equipped to handle an irate altie."

"You are aware that you caused more work for Subject 4, aren't you?" the Coordinator said.  "It would have been easier to work in her trip to us in her training."

"We understand, sir," Subject 6 said.  "We did the best we could.  Would you prefer that I webbed her while she was conscious?"

"No.  I would have preferred her to walk in under her own power."

"Sir, it was my decision," Subject 11 said.  "Call it maternal instinct, but the girl just wasn't going to come quietly.  If my kids talked to me like she did, I would have grounded them for a month.  The girl doesn't respect authority, if you ask me."

"She has been under stress lately," the Coordinator said.  "Most people her age have problems adjusting."

"No, sir, it wasn't stress.  I would never have referred to my mother like she did, and neither would my children.  The girl exploded.  She's dangerous."

"Your assessment will be taken into consideration, Eleven."

"Just as long as we don't have to fight her," Subject 6 said.  "Her hands powered up quickly, without her realizing it.  The football players got off light."

-**-

Maria woke up with a dry mouth and a pounding headache.  She looked around, trying to figure out where she was.  The couch again.  This always happens when Natasha is in trouble.  You'd think I'd have learned by now.  What time is it?  Bleary eyed, she looked at her watch.  Seven in the morning.  I'm not late.  Time enough to grab a shower then get to work.

After popping two painkillers and taking a hot shower, Maria dressed for work.  The bus ride made her stomach queasy, but she kept herself together long enough to reach the home she worked in.  She waved to Sue, who was stepping out of a cab, then waited for her coworker to catch up to her.

"Hi Sue," Maria said, holding the door open for her coworker.

Sue looked at her watch.  "I'm not late, am I?"

"Funny, Sue.  I just got out of the apartment earlier than normal."

"You're happier than normal, too, and it's not payday.  Got something big planned for the weekend?"

"Even better.  Natasha moved out."

"I'm so sorry to hear that."

"Don't be.  I won't miss her mouth and attitude."

"You won't miss her?" Sue said, shocked.  "She's your daughter, Maria.  Aren't you worried about her?"

"She's been wanting to move out since she was thirteen.  Now she has her chance and she's no longer my worry.  I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts."

"But what about Natasha?"

"What about her?  This might sound selfish to you, but she has been a pain in the ass for a long time.  I can't control her, and she and I are both much happier away from each other."

"She's your daughter."

"Yes, I'm her mother, but kids grow up and move out."

"At seventeen?"

"I was that old when I moved out on my own," Maria said.  "Natasha thinks she'll do just fine on her own, too.  Who am I to stop her?  So, Sue, up for a little celebration tonight?"

"I can't, Maria.  The boyfriend and I are visiting his parents upstate and we have to leave tonight.  He's picking me up after work."

"Oh.  Well, enjoy yourself.  I'll find another way to celebrate my freedom."

-**-

Nasty left Lau's algebra class, eager to get away from school.  The entire day felt strange to the young woman.  Dazed, she had no idea how she reached her locker.  She opened her locked and rummaged through it.  What am I looking for?  Christ, I've had better days.  It's Friday.  Go home, avoid Mom, and try to unwind.  This week has been weird.  Maybe I should go back and see the doctor again to see what the hell I've got.  Nasty pulled her helmet out from her locker.  Damn, not tonight.  I'm meeting Eric.  Where am I meeting him?  Right, I'll need that.  She reached back into her locker and pulled out her essay.  Nasty shook her head, trying to get rid of her haziness.  Get it in gear, Natasha.  Mom'll pick on you if she senses something's wrong.

She walked down the hall to the lobby, passing schoolmates without really noticing them.  Nasty only realized she was exiting the wrong doors when she reached outside.  Damnit!  The bike's in the parking lot.  What the hell am I doing out front?

"Natasha!  There you are!"  A man waved, getting Nasty's attention.  "We're going to be late."

Oh, what now?  "Who the hell are you?" Nasty called back.

"The doc said you took a nasty bump on the head," the man said.

Bump?  Nasty felt the back of her head, and found a lump that hurt to even brush with her fingers.  Was that what happened yesterday?  "Yeah, and?  You still haven't answered my question."

"I'm Jackson, remember?  We met yesterday."

Nasty racked her memory.  Jackson?  Name's familiar, but I can't remember.  He looks a bit familiar, too.  "If you say so."

"We better get going.  I've got my car parked around the corner."

"Go where?"

"I prefer not to yell across the lawn," Jackson said.

So walk over here, asshole.  Nasty took a few steps towards Jackson.  "Well, wherever we're going, I can't leave my bike here.  Go get your car and I'll follow you."

"We can put you bike in the trunk."

Nasty blinked.  Huh?  "It's a fucking Kawasaki.  Your car has a trunk big enough for that?"

"I'll show you.  C'mon, Natasha."

I am going to kill him if he tries anything.  Nasty walked over to Jackson, who lead her to a blue Dodge Ram.  "Your 'car'?" she asked.

"Car, truck, same diff," Jackson said.  "Get in."

"Look, Jackson, I have no idea what the hell is going on.  I am not getting in that truck unless someone explains to me what the fuck is going on."

"Not in public, Natasha.  You know better than that."

"Fine.  I'll get my bike and you'll never see me again."

"Alright, alright."  Jackson reached into sport coat and pulled out a folded sheet of paper.  He handed the sheet to Nasty.  "Read this.  It'll explain a few things."

Nasty unfolded the sheet and read the form.  I signed this?  She looked closer.  That's my signature, I think.  This says I joined the Secret Service?  "This for real?"

"It's for real."

"Let's get my bike."

-**-

Subject 10
Name:  Samuel Jordan
Birthdate:  April 11, 1972
Birthplace:  Dallas, Texas
Sex:  Male
Description:
Eyes:  Brown
Hair:  Blonde
Distinguishing Marks:  none

Parents:
Mother: Jessica Jordan (nee Stein)
Father: Benjamin Jordan

Paranormal Abilities:
Subject 10 is capable of the refraction of visible light, in effect rendering him invisible to normal sight.  With the use of a heat-dampening suit, Subject 10 can be hidden from infra-red detection as well.

Other Notes:
Recommended that Subject 10 not work with Subject 7, due to an ongoing conflict.

[End Issue 10]

Next Issue:  Jackson takes Nasty for a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment